From the Young Men:
How can you improve yourself in order to start becoming a "Man"?
- "Build relationships and do your school work"
- "I can improve by not always getting mad, having an attitude, and thinking it’s all about fame and fortune."
- "I can become more responsible and organized and be careful how I act and who I trust."
- "Growing up and dropping all the childish things"
- "Helping some people, so many people facing fears, multiple relationships, and responsibilities.
- "Improving in becoming “A” man you have to be respectful, honest, have integrity, and significance."
How do you feel about becoming a "Man"?
- "I feel that I’m ready to overcome everything and start being mature a lot and start manning up to yourself."
- "I feel that becoming a "Man" is understand what“A” man is and understanding life skills."
- "I feel that becoming a "Man" doesn’t mean that you know everything."
- "I feel stronger within myself and more confident about becoming a man."
- "I feel proud and special to become “A” man, I felt grateful and happy because it meant a lot to me."
- "I feel that my positive manhood is going to last forever."
- "I feel good because becoming a "Man" is a honor."
- "I feel proud to become a man. It makes me feel stronger and have more courage."
From the Building Men Staff and Teachers:
In what ways did you feel your relationships with the boys changed as a result of the Building Men Program?
- "Established relationships with more boys in different grades."
- "They have become more personable."
- "The boys became more respectful and listened more."
- "They were better behaved in class- more focused."
- "They learned that my class and expectations had a bigger more immediate impact on their life."
- "Some learned to respect their teachers."
- "I think them seeing my support outside the classroom made them feel that teachers really do care about their character."
- "The boys became more respectful in class, more responsible with their work and really wanted to be in the program."
What would you like to see changed? Why?
- "Chalk Talks could have team building activities and added to team points."
- "Expanded, good for the boys keeps them engaged in school."
- "Program to last longer – more seasons besides basketball."
- "Create more scenarios for the boys to step up and show that they are
Any Future Consideration for next year’s program?
- "Should be from October to June"
- "I think behavior and respect in school needs greater emphasis even over grades. The disrespectful behavior is now the primary obstacle in our kids achieving well academically and becoming men."